Sunday, September 7, 2008

New Boots and High Mass


Today has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful day. I woke up early and went to church with Lindsey, Kristin, and some folks from Crick. We went to St. Mary Magdalen's which is an ancient church, quite literally--it was in existence before 1000, and the building we worshipped in was built in 1194 by St. Hugh. The "denomination" of the church is Anglican Catholicism. The service we attended was High Mass, which means that we got the whole package: incense, sprinkles of holy water, supplication to St. Mary Mags, robes, candles, and a very different style of communion complete with a common cup of wine. But it was so new and mystical! The sermon was actually pretty bare bones in comparision, but the theology was straight forward and the message was practical. (The passage for today was Matt. 18: 15-20.) If you're interested, here's the link to the church's website.


After church we had tea and biscuits with the rest of the congregation. Most of the people were elderly, but the priest was young and had the cutest family. Everyone was very nice to us and asked us to please come back.

Next we traveled down High Street towards the Vines and ended up somewhere amongst little ethnic food stores. We then turned around and headed back to High Street and that is where I got my new boots! They are black and have stylized peacock feathers on them. Then we continued to stroll around the city center for awhile. I was finally able to get an adaptor and a watch. Kristin and I split off from the main group and wandered around. We found an amazing church that I think is called St. Thomas the Martyr. Soon we were off to Crick for afternoon tea, which was very nice. I eventually made my way back to the Vines via the park and a very muddy footpath. My legs and feet are protesting all of this walking, but the views are so lovely that I don't mind. Tomorrow is orientation, so say a prayer for me!

1 comment:

Tommy said...

I've always admired the ceremony and theology in older-style churches. And the churches themselves are amazing. Have fun!

Tommy