Thursday, February 12, 2009

Of three hour labs

Praises be to God, I finished Moby-Dick yesterday! 625 pages, but I really did enjoy it and believe it or not, would read it again. It's a book that is profoundly philosophical, as Melville probes the issues of meaning and purpose. His prose is at times gorgeous and Ishmael's narration is witty and contemplative. After finishing the great novel I took a break and watched an episode of "A History of Britain". The episode was "Conquests!" and was all about Edward the Confessor, William of Normandy, and the Battle of Hastings.
But on to today. Today I had a three hour science lab that was actually not that bad. This was due to my group members, both English majors, who joined me in laughing at the absurdities of our lab and our inability to remember any relevant mathematical information that we were supposed to have learned in high school. All I have to say is that high school was three long years ago. Now I'm hunkering down to a long night of homework and research. I started reading Hamlet and Purgatory by Stephen Greenblatt this evening, and I am profoundly thankful to be Protestant. I'll leave the Purgatory to someone else, thank you very much. By the way, if you have not read Shakespeare's Hamlet, you must! It is not debatable, go to the library and get a copy and read it. Then I recommend you watch the Mel Gibson "Hamlet". And while I am sharing advice, listen to Beirut. Just google Beirut, and I think the website is beirutband.com.
Until next time!

No comments: